Sunday, May 4, 2008

2:42 - Hello City Limits



Red Allen & the Kentuckians, Hello City Limits
[purchase]

Since this week's theme was my suggestion, I thought I'd ease us into it with an old bluegrass standard which works with both outgoing and incoming themes.

Hello City Limits always sounded to me like a perfect track for the credits of a Coen Brothers movie; at 2 minutes, 42 seconds of lighting-fast mandolin plucking and high harmony it goes by quickly, and doesn't waste a lick. Originally released in 1965, this song came to me via the Rough Guide to Bluegrass, where you can get this track and 20 more from a wide swath of popular bluegrass musicians, from Bela Fleck to Ralph Stanley; it's a fine collection, and a great starting place for anyone interested in the genre.

I'm pretty sure I originally heard this track from one of the other folks who blog here. So if you like it, don't forget to check out the sidebar links to Star Maker Machine contributor sites. If you don't like it, of course, I take full responsibility.

0 comments: